Lent is a church season where Christians identify with Jesus’ suffering and humiliation. This is often done through fasting, almsgiving, service, and other practices of spiritual renewal. These practices last for 40 days, which corresponds to the gospel accounts of Jesus’ 40 days of fasting in the desert (Matt. 4:2). At one time Lent was viewed as a period meant for converts preparing for baptism on Easter Sunday, but later the season has become a general time of penitence and reflection for all Christians.
The forty-day preparation period for Good Friday and Easter begins on Ash Wednesday and continues through the Thursday before Easter, not counting Sundays which are reserved for celebratory worship.
We use the color purple in the sanctuary during Lent. The color symbolizes both the pain and suffering leading up to the crucifixion of Jesus but it is also the color of royalty, and so anticipates through the suffering and death of Jesus the coming resurrection and hope of newness that will be celebrated in the Resurrection on Easter Sunday.
The City of Alameda recently began a program that seeks to help those citizens who use our ambulance system frequently. The intention is to work with them to alleviate the problems that cause their frequent need for 911 assistance.
They found that often these people need more than just medical assistance, so they carry a bin in their van that is filled with clothing items. In support of this program, the Deacons will have a bin in the church foyer where you can place your donations.
Items that you can donate are
- Socks – new, all sizes
- Underwear – new, all sizes
- Jackets – all sizes, gently used and clean
- Clothing – all sizes, gently used and clean
- Shoes – all sizes, gently used
Join us in exploring the possibility of a Mexico Mission Trip in 2016. Here is some information about the trip.
Looking for something fun to do with your family this fall? Join us for an afternoon of fun at G&M Farms in Livermore on Saturday, Oct 10.
Come, sing a new song. Join us this Sunday as we celebrate Pentecost – a day of a promise fulfilled. Sing praises!
We will be joining with the Korean Community Church and Grace Alameda for a Good Friday service at 7:00 p.m. on April 3. Please join us!
Enjoy one or more of these events that are happening this month:
- Saturday, Dec. 13 at 5:30 p.m. We sing Christmas carols outside at the Alameda Theater, and then join Dave May’s “Alameda’s Got Talent” inside.
- Sunday, Dec. 21 at 10:30 a.m. Come and enjoy our Christmas Cantata
- Sunday, Dec. 21 at 6:30 p.m. We’ll have our traditional Candle Lighting service and Kids Connection Christmas program.
- Wednesday, Dec. 24 at 5:30 p.m. Grace Alameda invites anyone who wants to come to share in their Christmas Eve service.
- Thursday, Dec. 25 at 10:00 a.m. Rejoice in the birth of Christ at our Christmas Day service.
- Wednesday, Dec. 31 at 7:00 p.m. Celebrate the past and future year at our New Year’s Eve Communion service.
This Sunday (Nov. 23) at 6:00 pm, please come and hear Rev. Kevin Adams, author of the book “150,” talk to us about “How to Live the Psalms.” We will gather in the Fellowship Hall for a time of learning, conversation and refreshments. Invite your friends and neighbors to this special event.